ABOUT WILLIAM ISAAC
William “Bill” Isaac served as Chairman of the FDIC during one of the most important and tumultuous periods in US bankinghistory. Some 3,000 banks and thrifts failed during the 1980s, including Continental Illinois and nine of the ten largest banks in Texas. In addition to the failures of many of the largest regional banks throughout the US, most of the money center banks in the US were on the watch list due in large part to the enormous amount of loans on their books to less developed countries.
President Carter appointed Bill Isaac to the board of the FDIC in 1978. He was confirmed by the Senate at the age of 34. President Reagan named him Chairman of the FDIC two years later, making him the youngest FDIC board member and Chairman in history. Bill Isaac also served as Chairman of the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (1983-85), as a member of the Depository Institutions Deregulation Committee (1981–85), and on the Vice President’s Task Group on Regulation of Financial Services (1984).
Bill Isaac is currently Chairman and principal owner of three premier consulting firms, the Secura/Isaac Consulting, Blue SaaS Technology Solutions, and Secura/Isaac Talent Advisors. He is a member of the boards of directors of Emigrant Bank and New York Private Bank & Trust and serves as Chairman of Sarasota Private Trust and Cleveland PrivateTrust, all of which are owned by Howard Milstein and his family.
After completing his service as Chairman of the FDIC at the end of 1985, Bill Isaac founded The Secura Group, a leading consulting firm, which he sold in 2008. He served as Chairman of the Board of Fifth Third Bancorp, one of the nation’s leading banks, and worked as Senior Managing Director at FTI Consulting from 2011 to 2019. He thenjoined Howard Milstein in the financial services business. Bill Isaac is a former board member at TSYS, a leading payment processing company that today is part of Global Payments. He has served on the boards of Amex Bank,The Associates (a finance company formerly owned by Ford Motor Company), credit reporting company TransUnion, and staffing firm MPS Group (now owned by Adecco).
Bill Isaac is involved extensively in thought leadership relating to the financial industry. He is the author of ‘Senseless Panic: How Washington Failed America’ with a foreword by legendary former Federal Reserve Chairman PaulVolcker. ‘Senseless Panic’ provides an inside account of the banking and savings and loans crises of the 1980s andcompares that period to the financial crisis of 2008/2009. Bill Isaac’s articles appear in the Wall Street Journal, theWashington Post, the New York Times, The Hill, American Banker, Forbes, the Financial Times, the WashingtonTimes, and other leading publications. He appears regularly on television and radio, testifies before Congress, and is aspeaker before audiences throughout the world (www.WilliamIsaac.com).
Bill Isaac is a former senior partner at Arnold & Porter, which was a founding partner of The Secura Group. He left the law firm in 1993 when Secura purchased Arnold & Porter’s interest in Secura. Before his appointment to theFDIC, Bill Isaac served as vice president, general counsel and secretary of First Kentucky National Corporation and its subsidiaries, including First National Bank of Louisville and First Kentucky Trust Company. He began his careerwith Foley & Lardner in Milwaukee where he practiced general corporate law specializing in banking law.
Bill Isaac received a Distinguished Achievement Medal in 1995 from Miami University and a Distinguished Alumnus Award in 2013 from The Ohio State University. He is a Life member of both the Board of Directors of the MiamiUniversity Foundation and the Board of Directors of The Ohio State University Foundation. Bill co-founded in 2016, withhis former classmate, the William Isaac & Michael Oxley Center for Business Leadership at Miami University.
- LLD (Honorary), Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
- JD, summa cum laude, College of Law, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- Former Chairman, FDIC (1978-1985)
- Former Chairman, Board of Directors, Fifth Third Bancorp
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Total System Services (now GPN)
- Former Member, Board of Directors of Amex Bank
- Former Member, Board of Directors of Transunion
- Former Member, Board of Directors, The Associates
- Former Member, Board of Directors of MPS Group (now Addeco)
- Chairman, Isaac Family Property Companies
- Life Member, Board of Directors, The Ohio State University Foundation
- Life Member, Board of Directors of Miami University Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors of BankCap Investment Fund
- Former Member Goodwill of Sarasota, Florida and Former Chairman Goodwill Foundation of Sarasota
- Former Member, Board of Directors of the Ringling College of Art & Design, Sarasota, Florida
- Former Member, the Community Foundation of Sarasota, Florida
- Member of Kentucky, Wisconsin, District of Columbia and American Bar Associations