ABOUT WILLIAM ISAAC
William M. Isaac is a senior managing director of FTI Consulting, focused on FTI’s financial institutions practice. The financial institutions group provides regulatory counseling and risk management services, strategy consulting, expert testimony, and corporate governance consulting.
Mr. Isaac founded The Secura Group, a leading financial institutions consulting firm, in 1986. Secura was acquired by FTI in 2011. Prior to forming Secura, Mr. Isaac headed the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation during the banking crisis of the 1980s, serving under Presidents Carter and Reagan from 1978 through 1985. Mr. Isaac is former Chairman of Fifth Third Bancorp, one of the nation’s leading banking companies, and is a former board member at TSYS, a leading global payments processing company.
Mr. Isaac is involved extensively in thought leadership relating to the financial services industry. He is the author of Senseless Panic: How Washington Failed America with a foreword by legendary former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker. Senseless Panic provides an inside account of the banking and S&L crises of the 1980s and compares that period to the financial crisis of 2008-2009. Mr. Isaac’s articles are published in the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, New York Times, American Banker, Forbes, Financial Times, Washington Times, and other leading publications. He also appears regularly on television and radio, testifies before Congress, and is a frequent speaker before audiences throughout the world. See www.williamisaac.com.
Mr. Isaac served as chairman of the FDIC during one of the most tumultuous periods in US banking history. Some 3,000 banks and thrifts failed during the 1980s, including Continental Illinois and nine of the ten largest banks in Texas. Mr. Isaac was appointed to the board of the FDIC by President Carter and was confirmed by the Senate at the age of 34, and was named Chairman by President Reagan two years later, making him the youngest FDIC board member and chairman in history. Mr. Isaac also served as chairman of the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (1983-85), as a member of the Depository Institutions Deregulation Committee (1981–85), and as a member of the Vice President’s Task Group on Regulation of Financial Services (1984).
Mr. Isaac was formerly a senior partner of Arnold & Porter, which was a founding partner of The Secura Group. Mr. Isaac left the firm in 1993 when Secura purchased Arnold & Porter’s interest in the firm. Before his appointment to the FDIC, Mr. Isaac served as vice president, general counsel and secretary of First Kentucky National Corporation and its subsidiaries, including First National Bank of Louisville and First Kentucky Trust Company.
Mr. Isaac began his career with Foley & Lardner where he practiced general corporate law specializing in banking law (primarily regulatory affairs, including securities matters, acquisitions and branching) and antitrust law.
Mr. Isaac received a Distinguished Achievement Medal in 1995 from Miami University and a Distinguished Alumnus Award in 2013 from The Ohio State University. He is a former member of the Board of Directors of the Miami University Foundation and is a Life Member of the Board of Directors of The Ohio State University Foundation. In 2016 Mr. Isaac co-founded with his former classmate the William Isaac & Michael Oxley Center for Business Leadership at Miami University.
- LLD (Honorary), Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, 1984
- JD, summa cum laude, College of Law, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1969
- B.S., Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, 1966
- Chairman, Isaac Family Property Companies
- Life Member, Board of Directors, The Ohio State University Foundation
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Total System Services (TSYS)
- Member, Board of Directors, BankCap Investment Fund
- Member, Bretton Woods Committee
- Member, Board of Directors, Ringling College of Art & Design, Sarasota, Florida
- Member of Kentucky, Wisconsin, District of Columbia and American Bar Associations
- Founding Member, The American Bankers’ Council
- Former Chairman, Board of Directors, Fifth Third Bancorp
- Member, Board of Directors, General Employment Enterprises
- Former Member, Board of Directors, MPS Group (prior to sale to Adecco)
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Trans Union Corporation
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Amex Bank
- Former Member, Board of Directors, The Associates (prior to sale to CitiGroup)
- Former Member, Board of Trustees, Out-of-Door Academy, Sarasota, Florida
- Former Chairman, Board of Directors, Goodwill Industries, Sarasota, Florida
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Community Foundation of Sarasota, Florida